Applying sepia toning
Start by opening your image in GIMP.
- Go to Colours > Desaturate.
- Preview the three options and choose the one that maintains the best contrast.
Change the foreground colour to the following red, green and blue values.
- Red = 162
- Green = 138
- Blue = 101
- Add a new layer, using the foreground as the colour. Call it Sepia mask.
- Right-click the newly created layer and choose Add layer mask.
- Select White (full opacity)
- Click Add.
- Select the Layer with your BW image.
- Click Ctrl + A
- Click Ctrl + C
- Select the Sepia mask layer
- Click Ctrl + V
- Click the Anchor to apply the pasted content to the layer mask.
- Choose Colour > Invert.
- Change this layer's blending mode from Normal to Colour.
Finally you might choose to add a decorative border.
- Flatten your image by merging down the top layer.
- Go to Filters > Decor > Fuzzy border...
- Deselect Work on copy.
- Click OK.
Thanks for visiting.