How to install ClarkConnect 5.0
We will create a ClarkConnect vm, which makes the finished solution more portable, and easier to backup/replicate. Note that you will typically need 2 NICs on the vm host in order that internal workstations can only access the internet via the ClarkConnect server.
- Other 2.6.x Linux 32-bit.
- 1 processor.
- 384 MB memory.
- 2 NICs, one bridged to the internet and the other connected to an internal only network.
- SCSI controller: LSI Logic Parallel.
- Hard drive 3GB.
- Remove Floppy drive.
To get started boot machine up to ClarkConnect CD or use the ISO file.
- Type linux on the welcome screen and press Enter.
- Choose Language.
- Choose Keyboard.
- Choose Installation method (typically CDRom).
- Select the Install Type (typically Install).
- Type ClarkConnect to continue and to delete all hard drives in this machine.
- Choose Gateway mode.
- Select Internet connection type, ethernet.
- Specify Internet IP address, leave on default of Dynamic for now.
- Leave Nameserver IP blank for now.
- Specify LAN IP address (eg. 192.168.1.1, netmask 255.255.255.0). This is your internal network.
- Enter a root/system password.
- Use default partitioning scheme.
- Choose ClarkConnect modules (eg DHCP and Caching DNS Servers, Intrusion Detection and Prevention, Bandwidth Manager, Web Proxy Server, Content Filter Server, Server Antivirus).
- Choose some more modules (eg Flexshare, Web server, FTP server, File, Print and Database Servers) and click Done.
- Are you sure? Click Done.
- Installation will now take several minutes depending on your module selection.
- On completion, Reboot.
Label the server
It's definitely a good idea to label the separate NICs (ie internal and external) on the physical server for ease of installation.
Here are some of the configurations to help you get started.
Thanks for visiting.