FOG is an open-source cloning/imaging solution
Build an Ubuntu Jeos server with the following specifications.
IMPORTANT NOTE: There is a known bug when using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, when installing php5. The recommendation is to use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I use the 64-bit version.
- Create a vm with 512-1024 MB ram, one nic, a 100GB hard drive and one processor.
- Hostname image-01.
- WARNING: Do not choose fog for the username.
- Software Selection? You don't need any for this install.
- Static IP Address of your choice (eg 192.168.0.61)
A bare bones Jeos installation of ubuntu doesn't include wget.sudo apt-get install wget
Before installing FOG, browse to http://downloads.sourceforge.net/freeghost/ and check to see what the latest version is (it was 1.20 when I wrote this article, see below). Then log in to your ubuntu server using your username and password, and enter the following commands...cd /opt
sudo wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/freeghost/fog_1.2.0.tar.gz
sudo tar -xvzf fog_1.2.0.tar.gz
Sometimes wget won't be allowed to get through (eg. over enthusiastic school internet filtering). On these occasions, you might want to try using an FTP server like vsftpd, to upload the fog_1.2.0.tar.gz file to the fog server.
You should now see the FOG installer screen.
- Choose 2 (ubuntu).
- Choose N (normal).
- Leave the IP address as 192.168.0.61
- Choose Yes for the router address setup and accept the default (192.168.0.1).
- Same for DNS.
- Choose No when invited to change the default NIC.
- Confirm Yes for dhcp service.
- You'll have to configure the Windows Server if you don't want to use FOG for DHCP.
- Install additional language packs if you need them, otherwise select No.
- Leave the default answer No for the invitation to donate computer resources.
- Confirm Yes to the summary information.
- Press Enter to acknowledge the MySQL warning (see below for the step that this refers to).
- Set a password for MySQL when requested.
- Did you leave the password blank? Answer No.
- Enter your MySQL password and confirm it.
- Start a browser
- Browse to http://192.168.0.62/fog/management.
- Click Install/Upgrade now.
- Press Enter, once the database is updated / installed.
- Send a notification to the FOG guys if you want to, they'll appreciate it!
FOG is now installed!
You are now ready to configure your FOG server.
Thanks for visiting,