This article describes the procedure for installing FreeNAS. Start by downloading the latest version of FreeNAS and burning to a CD. For this article I used FreeNAS 9.10.
The recommended hardware for FreeNAS include the following:
- Minimum of 8GB memory
- 8GB flash memory stick for the installation.
- 3 hard drives with the same capacity, that can be used as RAID 5.
- Ensure that your 8GB flash memory stick is configured to boot first.
Naturally you can expand these minimum requirements.
Start by booting up your server, using the newly created CD.
- Hit Enter to start the FreeNAS installer.
- Hit Enter to Install/Upgrade.
- Select your 8GB flash memory stick and press Enter.
- Press Enter to Proceed with the installation.
- Enter a root password.
- FreeNAS will now be installed, press Enter and the Reboot System.
- Remember to remove the CD when it's finished.
The installation might appear to hang on active set on da0, but will typically only take a few minutes to complete.
On reboot you will be presented with a Console setup screen.
- Enter 1 to Configure Network Interfaces.
- Press 1 to select the first interface.
- Reset network configuration? Press n.
- Configure interface for DHCP? Press n.
- Configure IPv4? Press y
- Interface name: Enter nic1
- Enter IPv4 Address: e.g. 192.168.0.210/24
- Configure IPv6? Enter n.
Your FreeNAS server is now ready to be accessed using a browser, where you will be able to continue to make some initial configurations.
Thanks for visiting.