Managing snapshots with Openfiler SAN
Snapshots allow you to go back to a specific point in time. Log on to your Openfiler SAN Management console to get started.
Calculating storage requirements
Here is an example
- You require 100GB for the new year group (there are 100 students each with a 1GB quota).
- In any given week the students collectively never change more than 20GB.
- Because the students have IT once a week, you decide to snapshot once a week.
- You would like the students to be able to recover work from upto 6 weeks ago.
- Snapshot storage needed for the new students is 6 x 20 = 120GB.
- Total storage for new year group is therefore 220GB.
You can now setup your volumes allowing the right amount of space for snapshots.
- Click the Volumes tab.
- In the Select Volume Group section choose your volume from the drop-down and click Change.
- Click Create in the Snapshots column.
- In the Schedule snapshots for volume... section.
- Enter a Size in MB(eg. 20000).
- If the students use more than 20GB in a particular week the snapshot will be disabled for that week.
- Share contents? (eg. Yes, do).
- Security for the snapshot is based on the access control policy for the share at the time of the snapshot.
- Interval in hours (eg. week = 168 hours).
- Rotate count (eg. 6 for 6 weeks).
- Click Schedule.
- Enter a Snapshot name.
- Size in MB(eg. 20000).
- When the snapshot is full the volume will become read-only until more space is allocated to the snapshot.
- Share contents? (eg. Yes do).
- Click Take snapshot.
Thanks for visiting.