Building a Debian GNU/Linux workstation
- Download the latest version.
- Boot your machine to the CD.
- Choose Install and press enter.
- Choose your language...
- and keyboard.
- Choose hostname...
- and domain name (eg debian, yourdomain.local).
- Select a partitioning method (Guided - use entire disk).
- Select the appropriate disk.
- Choose a partitioning scheme ("Separate /home, /usr, /var, and /tmp partitions" provides some extra stability).
- Write the changes to disk.
- Choose and confirm your root password.
- Enter your full name.
- Accept the default username and create your password.
- Select your Country's mirror site and enter proxy details if needed.
- Participate in the package usage survey?. Yes or No.
You can now choose from different collections of software to install to perform various services as follows:
- Desktop environment
- Web server
- Print server
- DNS server
- File server
- Mail server
- SQL server
- Standard System
- As we are building a desktop workstation we'll choose Desktop environment and Standard System.
- Debian will now retrieve the required files and install your system.
- Choose Yes for a default Grub boot installation, and continue.
Thanks for visiting.