How to join a Linux workstation to your domain
I've so far successfully joined Ubuntu 9.04 and Linux Mint 7.
Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal.
- sudo vi /etc/resolv.conf
- Check that the following line refers to your DC IP address.
- nameserver 192.168.1.1
- Make sure that your AD server is the first nameserver in the list.
- sudo vi /etc/nsswitch.conf
- Change this line...
- hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
- to this...
- hosts: files dns [NOTFOUND=return]
Ensure that your DC has DNS installed and working.
- Browse to http://www.likewise.com/community/index.php/download/
- Download the 32-bit bitrock file for your flavour of Linux to your desktop.
- Right-click the bitrock file and choose Properties.
- Select the Permissions tab.
- Click Allow executing file as program and Close.
- Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal.
- cd Desktop/
- sudo ./LikewiseIdentityServiceOpen-5.2.0.....installer
- Click Forward.
- Accept the agreement.
- Click Forward and Forward again.
Joining your domain
Remember to use your full domain name below.
- sudo /opt/likewise/bin/domainjoin-cli join yourdomain.local Administrator
- Enter the Administrator password.
- Restart the workstation.
Using a domain account
You can now log on to your Linux workstation with an Active Directory domain account.
Enter your username as follows...
You should make sure that you can reach your DNS server and your AD server. You could also revisit the initial checks section above.