Installing OSX with a Memory Stick
You will need an 8GB USB memory stick. Your Mac will need a minimum of 2GB memory. Yosemite will run on the following models...
- iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
- MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
- Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
- Xserve (Early 2009)
Start by clicking the App Store.
- Search for OS X Yosemite.
- Download the free installer.
- This will download OS X Yosemite to your Applications folder.
Format USB Stick
Plug in your 8GB memory stick. First we need to format the USB disk.
- Go to Applications > Utilities.
- Start Disk Utility.
- Select your USB device.
- Select the Partition tab.
- Choose 1 Partition from the Partition Layout drop-down.
- Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the Format type.
- Select Options for the newly created partition and GUID Partition Table (for Intel).
- Name it Yosemite.
- Click Apply.
Create the Installer
- Start Terminal.
- Run the following command.
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Yosemite --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction
The USB stick should be ready in about 30 minutes.
You are now ready to boot to USB stick. Remember that this will wipe your hard drive.
- Power on your iMac.
- Hold down the Option key.
- Choose the Install OS X Yosemite disk.
Thanks for visiting.