How to encrypt a memory stick
Once you have plugged your USB memory stick into your Mac, you can open the Disk Utility.
- Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
- In the left pane select your USB device (not the partition itself!).
- If you can't see your device, go to View > Show All Devices.
- Click the Erase button.
- Enter a Name for your device (e.g. Encrypted stick).
- Choose Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
- Select Scheme: GUID Partition Map.
- Click Erase.
Now with your newly formatted drive mounted, open Finder.
- Right-click your device and choose Encrypt "Encrypted stick"...
- Enter and verify a Password.
- Add a Password hint (required).
That's it! Now whenever you plug your memory stick into a Mac, you'll be asked to enter the password.
Note that this device will not work on a Windows machine. Additionally if you forget the password, the data will not be recoverable.
Thanks for visiting,