Creating new groups for Server 2003
The Groups OU
Always use the Groups OU that you created when you initialised AD, for creating new groups.
Create a new Group
- Go to Start > Administrative Tools > Active Directory Users and Computers.
- In AD browse to YourDomain > Groups > Subjects.
- Go to Action > New > Group.
- Enter a name for your group (eg. Maths, English etc).
- Confirm Group scope as Global.
- Confirm Group type as Security.
- Click OK.
Keep going until you have a structure something like this...
- Administration Staff
- IT Support
- Years of entry
You can now join groups to other groups.
- Right-click the Groups > People > IT Support group and choose Properties.
- Select the Member Of tab and click Add.
- Enter Domain Admins and click OK.
Now you need only to join a user to the IT Support group and they will have the appropriate Domain Adminsmembership too!
- Right-click the Groups > Years of entry > 2009 group and choose Properties.
- Select the Member Of tab.
- Enter Students and click OK.
Now you only need to join a student to the 2009 group and they will automatically be a member of the Students group too!
Thanks for visiting.