Installing the Domain Controller Role for Microsoft Server 2012
This article will show you how to install Active Directory Domain Services for Microsoft Server 2012. The article assumes that you have the GUI environment enabled.
Active Directory Domain Services
To get started we will install AD DS.
- Start by opening the Server Manager (bottom left).
- Go to Manage > Add Roles and Features.
- Click Next on the Before you begin page.
- Leave the default Role-based or Feature-based installation type, and click Next.
- Select your server and click Next.
- Select Active Directory Domain Services.
- Click Add Features in the dialog box that appears.
- Click Next and Next again.
- On the summary page, select Restart the destination server automatically if required.
- Click Install.
- Click Close when the installation has finished.
Active Directory Domain Services will typically take a few minutes to install.
Once the installation is finished you will need to promote your server to be a Domain Controller.
- Start by opening the Server Manager if needed.
- Select AD DS in the left pane.
- Click the More... link for the message at the top.
- In the All Servers Task Details dialog box, click Promote this server to a domain controller.
- Choose Add a new forest.
- Enter your Root domain name (eg. mydomain.local).
- Enter a Directory Services Restore Mode password (and importantly make a note of it).
- Click Next on the DNS Delegation page.
- Enter your NetBIOS Domain name (eg. MYDOMAIN).
- Leave the default Path locations.
- Click Next on the Review Options page.
- Click Install.
Domain Controller promotion will typically take a few minutes, and will automatically reboot the server.
Once you've installed AD DS, the process of initialising Active Directory is very similar for all versions of Microsoft Server.
Thanks for visiting.