Joining an Active Directory domain
The first step is to install the Likewise software.
- Log on to your Ubuntu server.
- sudo apt-get install likewise-open
- Kerberos version 5 realm - Leave this blank.
I recently got a failed message here, but I ignored it and the following worked.
Interestingly if you get the error DNS_ERROR_BAD_PACKET, it may be that you need to put your Windows Server first on the list in /etc/resolv.conf file if it isn't already.
Join Active Directory domain
- sudo /usr/bin/domainjoin-cli join yourdomain.local Administrator
- Enter Administrator's password.
- sudo shutdown -r now
You can now log on using domain\username.
Bear in mind that your domain user account isn't a member of the sudoers group and therefore doesn't have the same level of permissions as your local user account.
Thanks for visiting.