How to upgrade FrontAccounting
Front Accounting is regularly maintained. You may therefore need to upgrade your installation, in order to take advantage of bug fixes or new features. This article describes the procedure. At the time of writing I was using FrontAccounting version 2.1.1 and wanted to upgrade to 2.3.22.
Make sure that no-one is using the software, and then backup FrontAccounting before you start the upgrade process.
There are a number of key steps in the upgrade process.
- Upgrade the application source files.
- Upgrade the database, typically needed in change of major application number (eg 2.1.x to 2.2.x).
- Final clean-up, needed old source files are obsoleted by newer version.
- New features configuration may be required.
Application Source files
Start by logging in with an admin account.
- Ensure that you are using one of the standard themes (eg. aqua, cool or default).
- Visit the FrontAccounting site and download the latest version (eg. 2.3.22).
- Extract the zip/tar file and overwrite the existing files.
Start by logging in to the first company (if you have more than one company configured) with an admin account.
- Go to Setup > Software upgrade.
- Mark all Install checkboxes.
- Click the Upgrade System button.
Unofficial Manual Upgrade
I found that I couldn't upgrade from 2.1.1 to 2.3.22, so I installed a clean-build of FrontAccounting, and imported each table individually. Many of the table fields were identical, but where there were differences I used common sense. However the following issue was overlooked.
I'd left the debtor_trans_details.src_id field empty (this field didn't exist in 2.1.1) which created a list of nulls. This caused an error when trying to edit an invoice. I simply replaced the null values with the equivalent id value for each record and this fixed the issue.
Thanks for visiting.