Updating Joomla websites
The Joomla framework gets upgraded every few months. It is an important part of the website admin's role to ensure that these upgrades are installed in a timely manner. This article shows you how. If you want to perform an update automatically you might use J!Update or J!Update Pro.
- Backup your site using Akeeba Backup.
Make some checks
- Confirm the latest available version (eg. 1.5.18).
- Confirm your current version (eg. 1.5.17).
- Visit joomla.org and download the correct patch package in a .zip format (eg. Joomla_1.5.17_to_1.5.18-Stable-Patch_Package.zip)
- Using the webhosts file manager (WARNING: do not use extplorer), upload the Patch Package and unzip the files into their own folder on your web server.
- Copy and paste the unzipped files into the root directory of your site.
- Login to the backend to confirm your new current version (the version appears top right).
Thanks for visiting.