Upgrade from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5 with JUpgrade
If you've got an existing Joomla 1.5 site and you want to start taking advantage of the new Joomla 2.5 features, without losing all the hard work you've invested in your website, this is the procedure for you! Learn how to install Joomla extensions to get yourself started.
Visit the Joomla extensions site to review JUpgrade and to get the latest version.
Before you start you might want to do some investigating, to see if the extensions that you require have been updated for Joomla 2.5. Many of the best extensions have upgraded to Joomla 2.5, so hopefully you'll find this step straight forward.
If your Joomla 1.5 site has been around a while, it's good practice to rebuild it manually first. This will give you a clean site with all your content and users intact.
Always backup at each stage of the upgrade process.
- In your clean build of Joomla 1.5, install Akeeba Backup
- Create your first backup, prior to upgrading to Joomla 2.5.
Install the following
- Go to Extensions > Plugin Manager and enable the System MooTools Upgrade plugin
- Go to Components > JUpgrade.
- Click Start Upgrade.
You now have your existing Joomla 1.5 installation, and a new Joomla 2.5 installed alongside it in a folder called /jupgrade in the root directory of your existing site.
- Rename the directory of your existing site to keep is as an archive (eg. mysite_bak).
- Move the jupgrade folder up a level, to replace the old directory.
- Rename the jupgrade folder to match your old directory name.
- Install Akeeba Backup again and create a fresh backup of your Joomla 2.5 site.
- Using phpMyAdmin (or something similar), you can now drop all tables that don't prefix j25_.
Now you can install your favourite extensions for this latest version of Joomla. And finally, you may need to re-position some of your modules!
Thanks for visiting.