How to add subtitles and captions
Create your .vtt file
Start by creating a text file with a .vtt extension. Here is an example:
00:00:01.000 --> 00:00:07.000
Welcome to my video
NOTE end of file
This example file will display the words 'Welcome to my video' from 1 to 7 seconds.
Now you can login to Vimeo.
- Go to Manage videos > My videos.
- Click the Settings icon for the video that you want to add captions to.
- Select Advanced in the left pane.
- Click the Choose file button, and browse to your newly created .vtt file.
- The file should hopefully upload successfully.
- Set the Status to on.
- Choose the Language of the caption (e.g. English).
- Choose Type (e.g. Subtitles).
Subtitles vs Caption
Subtitles assume the viewer can hear, and are used for translation, whereas captions are aimed at viewers who are deaf. I typically use subtitles, so that my voice can be translated.
Advance .vtt files
For more information about creating .vtt files you might look at this article from a Mozilla developer.
Thanks for visiting.