Restoring your Wordpress site
The only excercise more important than a backup, is the restoration! There are 2 components to be aware of with a Wordpress restoration, namely the Wordpress files and perhaps more importantly the database itself.
- If you are only restoring your existing Wordpress installation (ie. using the same database name) you can simply copy the Wordpress files into the web site folder from your backup file.
- If however you are migrating or rebuilding the Wordpress installation from scratch using a different database name you will need to edit the wp-config.php file as follows
define('DB_NAME', 'putyourdbnamehere'); // The name of the database
define('DB_USER', 'usernamehere'); // Your MySQL username
define('DB_PASSWORD', 'yourpasswordhere'); // ...and password
define('DB_HOST', 'localhost'); // 99% chance you won't need to change this value
- Using phpMyAdmin select the newly created database (or your existing database if you are simply restoring an existing installation).
- Select the Import tab.
- Browse to the SQL file.
- Click Go, all existing Tables will be dropped and you new tables imported.
- Browse to the wp-options table, and edit the following entries to show new settings if needed...
Thanks for visiting.